Saturday, March 23, 2013

Santa Ornament


The challenge this week at Sugar Creek Hollow is called AN ALTERED STATE.  We want you to alter something in a vintage or shabby chic fashion.

The Design Team has created fabulous altered pieces for your inspiration and are joined this week by Sandy Mathis as a Guest Designer.  Check out their wonderful projects and then come back and show us your altered pieces.

I have altered an old CD to make another ornament for my Christmas tree.


My husband drilled a couple of holes in it for me so I could add a hanging cord and a tassle.  When I was finished with the ornament I didn't like the tassle so I cut it out and I will use it somewhere else.

I printed some card stock with a freebie digital paper from Miss Cutie Pie and then cut two scalloped circles with my Cameo.  The next step was to make the poinsettias using a die from Marianne Creatables.  The little ones were cut from music that I also printed on card stock and the large one is cut from metal sheets by Making Memories that I have had in my stash for a few years.  The little ones were sponged with Aged Mahogany Distress Ink by Ranger and the metal one was sealed first with Mod Podge and then inked with Cranberry Adirondack alcohol ink by Ranger and then sealed again. All the flowers have centres made of beads from my stash (leftovers from the days when I made headpieces and decorated bathing suits for my daughter's synchro competitions).

The flourish was cut from DCWV gold metallic card stock with the Spellbinders Venetian Motifs die.  It looked flat so I added some gems from Dollarama and pearls from Prima to it.  The image is from The Graphics Fairy and after I cut it out, I added gold Liquigems from Liquitex around the edge.

By the way, I discovered when I was making this ornament that occasionally something that goes wrong can end up looking pretty cool.  When I put the ink on the metal poinsettia, I didn't realize that some of the fiber was coming off the felt pad I was using until I started to seal it and all of a sudden there was this mess of fibers sticking to the Mod Podge.  I pulled some off with tweezers but couldn't get all of it off.  I almost threw it in the garbage and started over but when it dried, it actually looked interesting so I kept it.

I am going to enter this project in the following challenges:

Crafting For All Seasons - Anything But A Card
Emerald Faeries - Bling
4 Crafty Chicks  - Circles
Charisma Cardz - Die Cuts
Paperminutes - Real Metal
Artistic Inspirations - Use Some Metal
The Shabby Tea Room - Anything Goes

14 comments:

  1. I love how you altered your CD to be an ornament!! Great minds think alike...I love making them into ornies! I love the rich colors and your image!
    Hugs
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely altered Cd Cec, its quite approrpriate for the weather that we are having here in England
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous altered CD we have the snow to go with the Christmas decorations.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous project Cec ! The poinsettias are gorgeous, this will look amazing on your tree ! Sue C x
    P.S. Looks like your mojo found it's way home !

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is fantastic thanks for joining us at artistic inspirations and good luck emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cec,
    Oh I wouldn't have thought of that, to alter an old CD. What a fab idea, I really need to try that out sometime now that I've entered the wonderful world of altering. Beautiful Christmas ornament, love that Santa image. Thanks so much for the invite: I really enjoyed making my project.

    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for joining our Circle Challenge at 4 Crafty Chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredible ornament! What an amazing shabby chic card. I love the way you used the CD to make a wonderful circle ornament! Thank you so much for sharing your amazing inspiration with us at 4 Crafty Chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous ornament, gorgeous vintage image and beautifully embellished.
    Thank you for joining us at Crafting for all Seasons.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is not the season but I like it.

    Thanks for joining Paperminutes.

    Hugs, Heike

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will have to show us your beautiful tree this year. This one is divine. Love the rich reds and your flowers, yummy! Loved this challenge, so much fun seeing what everyone did.
    hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab altered cd hun it's such a fab idea :)

    Thanks for joining us at Charisma Cardz Challenge :)

    Hugs Mandy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, stunning use of an old cd! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Charisma Cardz challenge this week.
    Jenni x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my this is so beautiful Cec - a simply gorgeous Christmas ornament with lovely colors and embellishments.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec