Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Time for Change


The new two-week challenge at Frilly and Funkie begins today and is called TIME AFTER TIME.  Nancy is our hostess and wants us to make vintage or shabby chic projects that focus on time and clocks.

I hope you will share your projects with us to be in with a chance of winning a Guest DT spot at Frilly and Funkie or a $25 spending spree at The Funkie Junkie Boutique!

Remember, to enter you must create a new project, link it using the linking tool and make sure you add a link in your post back to this challenge. You can combine our challenge with up to 10 challenges (including this one) to be in with a chance of winning.

I have been seeing a lot of art journals lately and decided it was something I might like to try but I thought before I tackled a journal page, I better find something I could use as a journal and then make it pretty. 


I started with this sketch pad, removed the cover and altered it to the piece you see above.  I started by giving it a couple of coats of Gesso.  Then I sponge painted it with some acrylic craft paint but the colour was really bright and not a good match for the papers that I wanted to use with it so I then inked over the paint with some Victorian Velvet, Milled Lavender and Bundled Sage Distress Ink.

Next I added some torn papers from the Maja Autumn Basics paper pad using some Glue and Seal to adhere them and to coat them before I gave them a light coat of Gesso.  I also added some bits of drywall tape.

The next step was to use some embossing paste to add some clocks and also some little dots.  I used my Cameo to cut a large flourish from Grunge Paper and then cut it cut it in pieces and added it to the base after I sponged it with Milled Lavender Distress Ink.

Now it was time (no pun intended) to create the word art for the quote and frame it.  I chose the quote because it referenced time but also because I thought it would make a great jumping off point for my journal since I have never kept a journal.

The frame was cut from light chipboard using my Cameo and the flourishes were cut from Grunge Paper, which cuts much easier than chipboard - it really cuts like butter.  I added the flourishes to the frame and then gave it a coat of Gesso.  Then I added some Victorian Velvet Distress Ink and finally some Blood Orange Fresco Finish paint that I wiped off with a baby wipe.

The quote was added on top of a doily and a clock that I found on the internet.  Another clock was added to the left of the framed quote.  The third clock (at least a half clock) was cut from Grunge Paper and then I added Gesso to it and then Bundled Sage Distress Ink.

Next I added some strips of lace.  I added some narrow satin ribbon and pearls to the lace on the top right.  Next I cut a filigree ornament in half, covered them with Picket Fence Distress Stain (it takes a couple of coats with heat drying in between) and then clear embossed them before adding them to my cover.

The final step was to add the flowers.  Two flowers were made from the Maja paper with a couple of punches and then I added some pearls as centres.  The big flower is a flower from Recollections that I inked with some Victorian Velvet Distress Ink and added a big floral button for the centre.  The little flower on the right is some crinoline cut with the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die that I dyed with Milled Lavender Distress Ink and added a pearl for a centre.  The big two-layered flower is a strip of fabric from my sewing cupboard, folded in half lengthwise and then gathered.  It has been topped with some organza ribbon that was gathered and then I added a big pink button from my stash.

Now I need to tackle a journal page and while I don't when that will happen, I know exactly what I want to say in it so stay tuned.

I would like to enter this altered journal in the following challenges:

Inky Chicks - Use Some Lace
Top Tip Tuesday - Metal or Faux Metal
Through The Purple Hazel - Bingo (Flower(s), Sentiment/Greeting/Doily)
Love to Create - Bingo (Pink, Lace, Flowers)
Anything But A Card - Use Two or More Stencils (Clocks & Dots)
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Altered Art Only 

The following products used in the creation of this project came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

20 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Like the stenciled embossing paste in the background and the drywall tape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Cec, beautiful altered journal. All those different clock faces are fabulous. ~jeni :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh so pretty Cec, gorgeous cover
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Fantastic Detail! Thank you for sharing with us at Tip Top Tuesday. Amy A., DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful............its just lovely.

    fiona DT
    TTPH

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just lovely, so pretty, great colour and embellishments.

    Thank you for joining us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit.

    Moira DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card. Love pink!
    Thanks for joining our bingo challenge at Love to Create.

    Kitty
    LTC DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous Cec ! Love the background and all the elements you've added. The first journal cover of many I think ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just fabulous! Can't take my eyes off of it. Thanks for all the detailed instructions and for sharing with us at Through the Purple Haze Challenges!
    Good luck!
    Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply Stunning x
    Thank you for joining in our challenge (Through The Purple Haze)
    Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful thanks for joining us at TTPH
    Nicola DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing transformation. I love this notebook. I think this would make a beautiful present. Thanks for joining us at TTPH - Becky DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cec, your journal is over the top gorgeous!! I love the combinations of techniques you've used. I am so inspired by your art. I wish you many happy hours of art journaling. I know it will be a pleasure with such a pretty book to work in!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cec,
    I was trying too at a comment but don't think it came through. I just wanted to tell you how much I love your art journal cover and how inspired I am by your techniques. I can't wait to see some of your creations as you work your way through your journal!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous project.

    Thanks for sharing at Love to Create this week.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is absolutely gorgeous! So many details and so intricate!

    Thanks for joining in our Bingo Challenge at Through the Purple Haze Challenges.

    Lucy DT x

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! Absolutely amazing job altering that journal/book! Love all of the different elements/layers you used to create this beauty!
    Thank you for sharing with us at Love to Create this week.
    Ruza, LTC Admin/Designer
    Ruza's Craft Corner

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous work and love the fact you upcycled too!
    Thanks for Playing along with us this time at Top Tip Tuesday Challenge, hugs Samantha :0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful, an inspiring start to your art journaling!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec