Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Vintage Collage


Today is the start of a new two-week challenge at Frilly and Funkie.  Rebecca is our hostess this time and she wants us to use DIE CUTS in our projects.  Rebecca is suggesting we dig out our neglected dies and create something outside (or inside) the box with them.

Now I don't own very many dies so when I started to create this piece I knew I would have to make up for the lack of dies with lots of other good stuff and I am happy with how I managed that and how frilly this is.  The die I did use is the Square Fleur-de-Lis from Spellbinders.  I debated using my Cameo to make die cuts but in the end thought that wasn't what Rebecca wanted.

My Mother-in-Law turned 92 on March 4th so I decided to make a very large (8 inch square) collage card for her and incorporate a few things from her sewing room (or maybe her late Sister's sewing room since I have stuff from both) - the snippet of black lace under the image, the two-toned button and the lace medallion.

It had so much texture that I had to make a box for it and my husband hand delivered it since he flew out to Alberta to spend a weekend with her.  I don't know that she recognized the bits because she is having a lot of dementia these days but my husband explained it to her and I think it pleased her.

In a couple of weeks, I am doing the Saturday Step X Step over at Frilly and Funkie and I will show you then how this came together.  I know this is mean but I hope you will come back then to get all the details.

In the meantime, I can tell you that the following items used in this project came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique - a super place to buy your supplies at a great price and with the best customer service.

6 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful Cec. I love the way you've layered the paper pieces under the die cut and added all those wonderful elements for your MIL to reminisce about. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous design and I like the accent of yellow and all the little memories placed on the card for your mum in law.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just absolutely gorgeous, Cec! I love the way it all came together. You have incorporated so many yummy bits of lace and flowers and buttons. Love the stenciling background and the way you combined the strips of patterned paper. It turned out fantastic and I hope your MIL was pleased. It will give her something gorgeous to look at! Super work on the die challenge.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful vintage card Cec! ~jeni :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right to be pleased with this Cec. I love your page layout. The balance of the elements is perfect.

    TFS and best wishes

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous project! Love the collage of so many beautiful items! That butterfly is stunning! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec