Thursday, December 1, 2016

Christmas Star


It is time for a new challenge at Stamps and Stencils and this time Toni, our hostess is calling it Christmas Wishes.  She describes it this way:

"Ahhhh! Christmas, like it or lump it, it rolls around every year and seems to arrive faster than ever. If you celebrate Christmas, it's likely that you'll be making cards, gift tags, decorations or even creating your own wrapping paper. My Christmas Wish is to see some of the creative things you make, in order to spread a little seasonal love to your families and friends. My only request is that you include some stamping or stenciling or even both!"

Since the tree was going up this week I decided it was only fitting to make another ornament to hang on it. This one started as a wooden circle made by my husband on the laser cutter (loving that machine).


I gave it a coat of Liquitex Gesso and then crumpled up some tissue paper and glued that on along with some sewing thread.  Next I added Golden Light Molding Paste through an IndigoBlu stencil called Stars.

Once everything was dry I covered it in DecoArt Dark Red acrylic paint.  Then I laid the stencil back down and stippled on some DecoArt Champagne Gold Metallics acrylic paint.  Next I gave it a light coat of Mod Podge to seal it.


The lopsided star was also cut on the laser cutter and the rays are waste from some wooden cross pendants that my husband cut for a craft show at a local church.  I cut them up and attached them between two circles that I punched from a cracker box.

The star and rays were coated with Gesso and then I added some Golden Course Pumice Gel to the star before I covered them with more of the Champagne Gold.  I attached the rays to the back of the star and added some large seed beads to the star before adhering it to the circle.  My adhesive of choice for this sort of thing is IndigoBlu's new Super Thick Slap it On.

I made a bead chain for a hanger with a small loop at the top so I can wire the ornament to the tree as I do with all my ornaments.

Here is a close-up of the finished ornament since it wanted to turn when I was trying to take a photo of it hanging..


I hope you will take a break from all the Christmas planning and grab some time in your craft room to create something for this challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Cec, your ornament is stunning!! I love the crumpled background and the focal star really is the star of the show - absolutely gorgeous! I love the hanger you created for it too. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful and festive ornament to add to your tree, Cec! I love that gorgeous texture on the background and your amazing sparkly star! Great team effort from you AND your hubby! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning - and a homemade ornament is simply the best! I am just getting back to blogging again, so glad I didn't miss this beauty!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec