Thursday, August 3, 2017

Colouring with Crayons


It is time for the new challenge at Stamps and Stencils and Autumn, our hostess this month is calling it Technique School.


Here is what she has to say about it:

This month we want you to play teacher and share a favorite process or new experiment. Document your findings with at least one process photo. We can't wait to see your technique tutorials and new ideas! Remember to use stamps or stencils or both!

I decided to try something new to me but not a new technique by any means.  I chose to colour a stamped image with crayons - but not in the usual way. Let me show you how I did it.


I started by stamping an image from this Inkadinkadoo stamp onto a scrap of card stock with Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger).


I shaved some crayons over the stamped image putting each colour in random areas.


The next step was to melt the crayon shavings, which is actually quite easy because all I did was put a sheet of parchment paper on my ironing board and put the image with the shavings on top.  Then I covered it with another sheet of parchment paper.  Make sure the parchment paper is quite a bit larger than your image.  

Then I took a fairly hot, dry iron and gently ironed the parchment paper covering the image and watched the wax melt.  I moved the iron back and forth until I could see that all the card stock was covered and then removed the top layer of parchment paper.  I wish I could have taken a photo of this step but I was concentrating on the melting and protecting my ironing board because I do still iron and did not want wax all over it.


There was still some melted wax on the parchment paper so I grabbed a background from my stash and ironed the wax onto it, moving the parchment paper around so that it was fairly well dispersed.  I will use this on a future project.


I gave a dollar store thin canvas a coat of white Gesso (Liquitex) and then I painted it with Pumpkin Soup Fresco Finish (Paper Artsy).  I dry brushed some Zesty Zing Fresco Finish on next making sure to leave some of the first coat visible.


The next step was to use some Crackle Paste (Golden) through a clock stencil (TCW) to add some texture to the canvas.


Then I used a bunch of spray inks to add more colour - Crushed Grape (Dylusions) and Twisted Citron, Tumbled Glass, Peeled Paint, Carved Pumpkin, Worn Lipstick, Mustard Seed, Abandoned Coral and Mowed Lawn Distress Spray Stain (Tim Holtz).


Using Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger), a stamp called French Script (IndigoBlu) and a butterfly from an Inkadinkadoo set, I added some random stamping to the canvas.


I found some yellow natural paper in my stash that I had bought eons ago at the dollar store and thought it would make a great background for the image.  I tore the edges and then inked them with Tumbled Glass, Abandoned Coral and Mowed Lawn Distress Ink (Tim Holtz).

To finish the project, I tore some black card stock (Recollections), mounted the image on it and then added it to the natural paper.  This panel was adhered to the canvas with dimensional foam tape.

I love this bright canvas and the very colourful image.  I have been searching around the internet and have discovered other ways to use crayons in my creations.  My Grandchildren have moved past crayons for colouring but I haven't. :)

6 comments:

  1. Ooo I love the colours on this piece. Great idea with the crayons and a change from using inks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how neat! What a fun idea and absolutely the coolest result! Thanks for sharing this, Cec! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea - coloring with crayons! Love the colors in your art piece for today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melted colouring - that looks great fun! What a great image you chose for it - the butterflies look amazing!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous technique Cec ! Love the effect and the colours you've chosen. Sue C x P.S. Love the new look blog too !

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, the resulting vibrancy is just wow! Love how you've developed the background mounts too using textured paper, truly fabulous result Cec! Hugs Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec