Monday, September 4, 2017

The Chief


Say hello to a Maori Chief.  I have created a collage in mostly earth tones around this chief as my offering for the third challenge for ITAC'17, which is called Oceania.

As with the first two challenges, there is a list of elements to consider but not everything on the list must appear in your project however, at least one must.  I think I have everything covered.

  • Patterns inspired by traditional symbols (Maori tattoos, Dots/dashes of aboriginal Arts…) 
  • Think Monochromatic black and white or think colors of the Earth
  • Some sort of organic or natural material(s) (earth, stone, bone, bark, wood, fibres…) 
  • Shapes inspired by traditional or indigenous art

I started with a 9" x 12" flat canvas from the dollar store and added dots in the form of texture using a Tiny Circles Stencil (TCW) and some Light Molding Paste (Golden).  I also coated it with some White Gesso (Liquitex).



I started adding colour to the canvas with a layer of Khaki Acrylic Paint (Craftsmart) followed by a layer of Mocha Fresco Finish (Paper Artsy) that was wiped back in spots using a baby wipe.


A little more stenciling followed with Jet Black Archival Ink (Ranger) and Mini Pattern Stripes stencil (TCW).


To finish the canvas colour I added some Gathered Twigs Distress Spray Stain (Tim Holtz for Ranger).

The next step was to assemble my collage items.  I am sorry there are no individual process photos but I will describe all the pieces.

1. The image came from the New York Public Library Digital Collection and was inked with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink and then coated with Crazing Medium (both from Tim Holtz for Ranger)

2. The wood strip was peeled from some tape that I picked up at a floral warehouse in the UK.

3. A skeleton leaf that I coated with some Rich Espresso Metallic Paint (DecoArt)

4. A large oval wooden bead that I cut in half

5. Some fun fur (Fabricland) that started out as white but was dyed with some Soft Suede Reinker (StampinUp) and then topped with a strip of geometric tape (Fabricland)

6. A feather (Dollarama)

7. A piece of limestone (from my front step, which is breaking down after 15 years of weather and wear and tear but not going to waste)

8. A wooden toggle attached to some braided jute (my stash)

9. Maori symbols added to a piece of cork with some Light Molding Paste (Golden) and a stencil my husband made for me on the laser cutter using symbols found as a colouring page on the Christchurch Public Library web site

To assemble the collage, I attached everything with Super Thick Slap it On (IndigoBlu).

There you have my take on the theme Oceania.  I am off to enter it HERE and then I am going to think about the next challenge.  Having so much fun!!!

1 comment:

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec